Wednesday, November 09, 2005

On The Nightstand


'Inside The Victorian Home' by Judith Flanders
ISBN 0-393-05209-5
499 pgs.


I'm currently reading 'Inside The Victorian Home'. You are taken room by room through a typical upper/middle class home. She explains the function of each room. You find out who would have spent time in that room and who never set foot their.

I went through the first 100 pages before I could put it down. For a book of its size I find it very enjoyable to read. The author must have a wonderful sense of humor, I find her tone quite witty. She uses a mix of facts and excerpts from actual journals & letters to give you a delightful tour of the victorian home.

'Wickett's Remedy' by Myla Goldberg (ISBN0-385-51324-0) is next on my nightstand. I'll let you know what I think.

If you have a book suggestion, please share! Just leave a comment with the title & author's name and what you think about it.

4 comments:

Julie said...

What a wonderful sounding book. I wonder if they have it at the library? Im off to check. Thanks for the recommendation.

Julie

Anonymous said...

I've read this too a year ago or so and did get it at our library. I really liked it also, a great read.

Lady Montgomery said...

Thanks Kelly! Yes, Julie, It should be at your library. I like to check books out at the library before I purchase.

Cherish the Home said...

I LOVE the books I get from a company called "Keepers of the Faith". They reprint books that were written in the 1800's or 1900's. www.keepersofthefaith.com

My favourite from them is called "Little Homes and Big Hearts"