Monday, January 23, 2006

Paradise at Home

I have been waiting for the perfect house. I have imagined and planned what my perfect little kitchen will look like, my peaceful living room, and my tranquil bedroom. Why have I been waiting?

I have been thinking about this lately. No matter where I live I should try to make my home as lovely as possible. With this in mind I have been busy checking out second-hand shops, ebay, and some of my favorite online shops.

I started in the living room. I found a sofa and matching chair at a local shop. The fabric is tan with a blue floral design and wood trim. I'll take a picture as soon as I find my camera.


I found a new picture to put over the fireplace. The print appears to have been printed on actual canvas, it has a very realistic look. It came with a antiqued gold frame...perfect!! To the left is a picture of the one I found. "Little Irene" by Renoir.

On to the kitchen. I'm going to hide the blinds with curtains. Our kitchen window overlooks a grassy area next to the playground. I try to keep the blinds open for light, but in the evening I close them for privacy. I found some red toile sheer fabric on ebay to make curtains and a valance for the window. Fabric by Quilts N More

Decorating with Toile by Nikki Wilhite

Toile articles at HGTV.com

I added a hutch to a bare wall. I have wanted a hutch for so long. I finally found one at a local flea market for only $75.00. If you have more time than money, like I do, with some patience and leg work you can find some great deals out there.

For our 9th wedding anniversary, my husband let me order the china set I've been admiring. This is my first complete set of china, I can't wait to use it!! Tea with Grace has a few different patterns at resonable prices. The pattern I chose was 'Rose Bouquet' (below).

Here is a close up of the flowers. *pictures from Tea with Grace, above and below.


For a more tranquil bedroom I'm getting rid of clutter first. I'm a packrat in denile!! It's time for me to toss stuff I can't wear anymore. Our computer is in the bedroom, so I want to streamline the area. I would like to put some shelves on the wall and get a less bulky desk.

I bought a new king size feather down comforter from Simply Down. I won the bid for only $16.50! I plan to sew a duvet to protect the comforter. I'm going to use a toile fabric I bought from Shabby Divas Trim * Fabric.








*Prictures from Shabby Divas

Can you tell that I like toile? I think it can add a little elegance with out being too stuffy. However, I don't want to go too crazy with it.

My ebay tips!

Contact seller with questions before you bid.

Check out sellers feedback.

Find out what you will have to pay in shipping before you bid. Once my husband had to pay $60.00 in shipping for a $40.00 item because he did not ask before hand.

Do they allow returns?

How soon after payment do they ship items?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exciting. I think I will go tomorrow to get the paint to redo our playroom. It has been half painted and half bordered forever. I think I will start over and redo the whole thing. I also need to start considering the childrens bedrooms as we will be redoing them for adoption presents.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Lady Montgomery said...

How fun!! I saw the pictures of your living room. I like the yellow, it looks like a warm and energetic space.

Your newest family member is adorable!!