Sunday, October 09, 2005

Simplicity

I want to share how you can have a fun and beautiful children's birthday party that won't make you crazy.
I used my silver pieces that I have been collecting from antique stores, thrift shops and online auctions. In the past I have easily spent $70 on paper decorations and matching plates and cups. Why? Because someone decided that children need to be surrounded by tacky and obnoxious commercial characters at all times. I have looked at pictures from birthday parties in the past. The food and decorations were simple and the focus was on the children having fun.
You would think there would be some great revolt engineered by the birthday girl over the lack of tackiness. Quite the contrary, she absolutely loved using all of moms grown up stuff. The party was fun and relaxing, I was not exhausted or stress out on what should be a day about love and joy.
I also avoid places that are designed to provide a carefree party with no clean up. I have yet to find that place, have you? The room is usually too small, yet the play area is too large to keep an eye on your little guests. I always feel like I'm rushing the natural flow of the party so I can get out of the way of the next party. Don't get me wrong, those places are fun for a playdate or a just because family outing. I find trying to coordinate parents, children and the few hours you have the space reserved stressful.
I put the juice, cake, some cookies and tea sandwiches on a side counter. I used sparkling apple juice in the punch bowl, some chocolate dipped shortbread cookies, and little crustless ham & cheese sandwiches. I made two cakes, the larger one is also placed on the side counter.

I placed the smaller cake on a pedestal in the center of the table. I also ironed and starched my best tablecloth for the party. We also have a special plate, bowl & cup set the children only use on their birthday. You can see part of the set in the picture. As the children get older I plan to update the setting.


Here is a picture of the birthday girl, Zoey on the left and her sister Shelby on the right.

With the money that wasn't used on disposable decorations, we decided to invest in better quality toys and clothes. It does not make sense to me to buy 10 cheaply made disposable toys. I would rather buy 3 or 4 well made classic toys. Magic Cabin has a wonderful catalog of children's toys and books.

I also recommend "Mrs. Sharp's Traditions " By Sarah Ban Breathnach 256 pgs. Her book some great ideas and a little history about children's birthday parties. Also check out the A Whimsical Tea Party for Children post. It has simple recipes and fun party ideas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.