Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The Christmas Spirit


With the passing of Thanksgiving, the Chrismas season is upon us. What should be one of the happiest times of the year can be quite the opposite for some.

I have been feeling a little bit of the Christmas blues. Decorating, baking, gifts and planning dinners has overshadowed the purpose for Christmas. It's quite easy to get off track and not realize it until you crash.

My husband and I have discussed this very topic. We decided to take a deep breath and calm down!! For presents for the children quality should come before quanity. We are giving 'Family Gifts' to the children. We hope this will stop the "That's mine, you can't have it.". Each of the children will receive one or two personal gifts as well.

Another thing that has helped lift my spirits is thinking about all of the things to be grateful for. Praying for other people helps me to remember that my home is not the center of the universe. Don't get me wrong, my home is my heart. But, I also need to remember that not being able to get the piano up the stairs in not the end of the world. There are good people with a lot more serious struggles to overcome.

What am I grateful for?

1. Having the love of Jesus in my life.
2. A kind hearted husband who loves me.
3. Three healthy children. There cute too!!!
4. Having a safe home.
5. The ability to cook and sew for my family.
6. A husband who supports my staying home and homeschooling.

I want my children's Christmas memories to be that of love and peace, not who had more presents. To do this... I need to keep myself inline as well!!! Since my husband and I are the ones buying these presents it is our responsibility not to over indulge the children. This is not the time to make up for what I didn't have or worry about how many gifts others are buying for their children.

No comments: