Tuesday, December 06, 2005

I need a snack, how about you!



I have been trying to avoid late night snacking. So when I go shopping I try not to add stuff I like to snack on.

This is the deal I made with myself "After 9 p.m. I can have all the popcorn and beverages that I can stand. Any other treats must be homemade from scratch and not store bought" This deal is legally binding in the land of rainbows and unicorns. Most people who know me say that's where I live!!!

I must admit I've never had the urge to whip up a apple pie and 10:30 at night!!! There is always a loop hole and I will post the recipe below. It is a very simple cake to make, it's from my Better Homes & Garden Cookbook.

Busy Day Cake with Broiled Coconut Topping

1 1/3 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Combine flour, sugar, and baking powder. Add milk, margarine or butter, egg, and vanilla. Mix. Pour batter into a greased and floured 8 inch round baking pan. You must use a metal pan if you are going to add the topping because it has to be broil for a few minutes.
* Sometimes I like to add nutmeg or cinnamon, nuts, or raisins to the batter.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Frost with Broiled Coconut Topping.

Broiled Coconut Topping

1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbs margarine or butter, softened
1 tbs milk
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

In a bowl beat sugar and margarine till combined. Stir in milk. Stir in coconut and nuts. Spread over warm cake in pan. Broil for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.

1 comment:

Brandy said...

I have a sort of similar deal I made with myself too. Course, that's just so I don't go overboard with sweet stuff period -- not just at night lol